Re: RFS: alure (updated package)

On Saturday 23 April 2011 10:03:32 Tobias Hansen wrote:
> Am 23.04.2011 05:07, schrieb Paul Wise:
> > I would suggest adding a symbols file so that stuff using the new
> > symbols gets the new version and anything else gets the old version.
> >
> > http://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles
>
> On that wiki page it says:
> "If you find (on some arches) symbols that are exported which are not
> supposed to be public, you must not use symbols versioning at all."
>
> If I'm not mistaken, private symbols are exported in the case of Alure
> (see [1]). If I run dpkg-gensymbols myself on libalure1 1.1, I also get
> such symbols starting with _Z.

Yes, _Z* are private, and are better to be stripped out.

> Can I just create a symbols file containing only the public symbols? If
> not, why not? What should I do otherwise?

You can, but that won't fix the object files exporting private symbols.
Instead you better suggest alure upstream to use a linker version script [1]
[2], to control symbols publication.

Trivial example (these are public, the rest are stripped out):
LIBFOO_1 {
global:
public_symbol_1;
public_symbol_2;
};

Then you can still use  dpkg-shlibdeps symbol files to determine the minimal
required version of each dependency.

[1] http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/ld/VERSION.html#VERSION
[2] http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/gnulib/LD-Version-Scripts.html

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>