Re: RFS: ttylog (updated package)

Peter,

Sorry about the delay in my reply; ISP issues, amongst other things...

On Mar 28, 2011, at 8:28 AM, Peter Pentchev wrote:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 03:24:48PM -0400, Robert James Clay wrote:
I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 0.1.d-1
of my package "ttylog".

It builds these binary packages:
ttylog     - serial port logger

The upload would fix these bugs: 566938

Debian Changelog for 0.1.d-1:
  * New upstream release.
  * Set debhelper Build-Depends to version 7.
  * Explicitly set Debian package format as 1.0.
  * Changed debian/watch to point to Sourceforge.
  * Change Maintainer email address to jame@rocasa.us.
  * Set Standards Version to 3.9.1; no changes necessary.
  * Detailed the Debian packaging copyright in debian/copyright.
  * Change homepage in debian/control to Sourceforge project site.
  * Add Vcs-Git & Vcs-Browser to debian/control. (Closes: #566938)
  * Changed to using dh_prep in the install target of debian/rules.

Note that since I'm not sure when the next major version (v0.2.0) will be available and it has been a while since the last update, I wanted to get this version of ttylog & its debian package out so that the major changes like the package home page & Vcs entries (and separate ttylog changelog) are available.

Note that I currently intend to resolve Debian bug # 553945 and
Sourceforge bug # 3214825 in the next version of ttylog.

    Note that the next version of ttylog will be v0.2.0.

Let me first note that I'm not a Debian Developer and thus cannot really help you by uploading the package :) Still, what do you think about the
following comments and suggestions? :)

I very much appreciate them and will be evaluating them for inclusion to ttylog and/or it's packaging.

First, I've attached a series of patches to the ttylog upstream:

Thank you very much for attaching actual patches! They'll make it a _lot_ easier to evaluate what you're commenting on.

- if the user has set the standard CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS or LDFLAGS variables
  in the environment, use them instead of -g -O2

I'll evaluate that for inclusion with the next version of ttylog, v0.2.0.

- if the user runs ttylog with invalid arguments, exit with a status of 1, not 0 (not really necessary, just, I don't know, good practice? :)

    Planned for the next version, v0.2.0.

- a bit stricter checking of command-line arguments:
  - do not try to retrieve the -1st element of an array if there is no
    baud-rate option on the command line

I'll evaluate that for inclusion with the next version of ttylog, v0.2.0.

  - check for buffer overflow attempts through a looong modem name :)

An aspect of the existing Debian bug # 553945 and as already noted, planned for the next version (v0.2.0).

- check for errors in tcgetattr(), tcsetattr(), select(), etc.
- fix some compiler warnings if stricter warning options are passed to
  the compiler
- check for some more errors so as to be able to build a hardened
  executable

    Those I'll investigate for inclusion in the next version, v0.2.0.

And then, there are a couple of ideas for the Debian packaging itself:
- switch directly to the 3.0 (quilt) source format - unless, of course,
  you have a reason to stick to 1.0?

Not so much that I had a reason to stick to it for this release, as that I had no particular reason to change to it at this time. I am considering it for the packaging for v0.2.0, since that is when I am planning major changes for both ttylog itself as well as to its packaging.

- bump the debhelper compatibility level to 7 and let dh_clean and
dh_installchangelogs do their job (they can guess what files to remove
  or install by themselves now :)

- make even better use of debhelper 7 - since your Debian packaging is
  very simple, the rules file may be brought down to only a couple of
  lines by using the dh(1) helper tool

To be considered for the packaging of the next major ttylog version, v0.2.0. Did not want to make too many issues just yet for, for instance, backporting.

- use the dpkg-buildflags program introduced in dpkg-dev 1.15.7 to
  obtain the default values for CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS and LDFLAGS; besides
  other things, this takes care of e.g. "noopt" being specified in the
  DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS variable
  - note that this patch adds the debian/patches/01-flags.patch to the
    upstream Makefile, which is actually the first patch in the
    "upstream" series above; this might not be necessary if you like
    this change and accept it upstream :)

    That's something I'll certainly investigate doing.  Thanks!

- build with the -Werror compiler flag if the user requests it by
  specifying "werror" in the DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS variable (useful for
  testing sometimes)

To be considered for the packaging of the next major ttylog version, v0.2.0.

- build with lots of compiler warnings and harden the build using
  the hardening-includes package
  - note that this patch adds the debian/patches/02-cleanup.patch to
the upstream ttylog.c file, which combines almost all of the patches
    in the "upstream" series above; this might not be necessary if you
    like the changes and accept them upstream :)

I'll be evaluating all of them for inclusion into the next version, v0.2.0; thanks!

- remove the README.Debian file - it only repeats the package's short
and long description, I don't think that it provides any other useful
  information

If it is still not needed, I plan to do that with the packaging for ttylog v0.2.0...

- shorten the watch file a bit by removing not-really-needed comments

I might take a look at doing that for the next package, but I don't really see the point...

- convert the copyright file to the latest revision of the
machine-readable copyright format currently being discussed as Debian
  Enhancement Proposal 5 (DEP 5, http://dep.debian.net/)

    Planned for the packaging of v0.2.0.

- bump the debhelper compatibility level to 8 with no further changes

To be considered for the packaging of the next major ttylog version, v0.2.0.

Thanks for making Debian better by taking care of its packages!

    Thank _you_ for such a detailed review!

Robert James Clay
jame@rocasa.us