Re: gtkpod - build issue

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 12:46:16PM +0200, Matteo Vescovi wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to get gtkpod 2.0.0 (stable release) packaged, but an issue
> is stopping me.

Hello,

I offered my help so here it is :)

> Who is interested in helping, can find my build files at [1].
> I started from scratch, meaning that I downloaded the source package
> from sourceforge.net and merged it with the config files from "debian"
> directory I got from the debian source package that djpig (Frank)
> prepared for version 0.99.14, changing the things that needed to be updated.

This is a correct way to do it. However, be sure to check the
differences between the two upstream versions. For example, if
upstream ships new examples you should install them.

Also, if this is your first package, it may be a good idea to fix bugs
in the current package (ie prepare 0.99.14-4), rather than preparing a
new upstream version.

> Obviously, I decided to use quilt to patch the original source code and
> modified the files in "debian" dir for that.
> Build Dependencies have been tested in cowbuilder/pbuilder environment
> and they're ok (or think so).

As you use the "3.0 (quilt)" format, you don't need to include quilt
in your build-deps. This was needed before 3.0, when packages used
quilt explicitly. In debian/rules, you should get rid of --with quilt
too.

> Now, I'm having an issue with the final process, while dh_shlibdeps runs
> (you can see it from the .build file attached). It says that it can't
> find a library (libgtkpod) that is compiled during the build process.
> The library is present where it's supposed to but no way to get
> dh_shlibdeps understand it ;-)
> I've tried many different solutions, but no one worked.
>
> If anyone could give me some helpful hints, it would be appreciated.
> Any suggestion or advice on the package is really welcome.
>
> Thank you in advance.

I had a quick look at debian/control and have a few remarks :

  - the Vcs-* fields should point to where the packaging is done, not
    to the upstream VCS.
  - adding libgpod as an explicit dependency to gtkpod is not needed
    as normally shlib:Depends should include it
  - gtkpod-data should not depend on shlib:Depends (it contains only
    images and stuff like that, nothing executable). I don't think
    that python:Depends is necessary (the only python script is an
    example).

As for the dh_shlibdeps problem : it complains about a missing
libgtkpod (note : different from libgpod). I believe that it is
because you don't install it (you took gtkpod.install directly from
gtkpod_0.99.14).

Hope that helps !

--
Etienne Millon