Re: RFS: cppcheck, new upstream version 1.48

On Tuesday 19 April 2011 00:24:36 Reijo Tomperi wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> New upstream version was released, so I made a new Debian package of it.
>
> I'm again looking for a sponsor for it.
>
> It is lintian clean and builds with cowbuilder.

> main contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/c/cppcheck/cppcheck_1.48-1.dsc

You don't need libtinyxml2.5.3, libpcre3 explicitly listed in Depends in that
case, as they could be automatically calculated. You already have
${shlibs:Depends} in there, and dh_shlibdeps calls dpkg-shlibdeps, which does
the right thing calculating the shared library dependencies.
Please see, debian policy 8.6.2 and C.1.4.

If you were trying to "fix" a hypothetical problem with dependency list that
way (though I see none), that might not be the right treatment to rectify the
cause. Listing these depends explicitly is not incredibly wrong, but might
leave a wrong impression, that something with the automatic dependency
calculation (of an dynamic executable ELF like cppcheck is, unlike say, a
shell or whatever script where ldd could not be of any help) has went wrong,
while it has not.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>