Re: Bizzar error with dpkg-buildpackages

Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Can I use e.g.:
>
>     1.20-29     ->  unstable (source included)
>     1.20-29b1   ->  stable/squeeze
>     1.20-29b2   ->  oldstable/lenny
>
> I was thinking there could be an upgrade problem later if I use this  or
> is there a special naming scheme for multi-release?  (I know, there  was
> a discussion some years ago, but I do not know its result)

Policy documents this, but…

You can use the "~" character as indicator of "sorts before". And using
release codenames is often clearer (see e.g. the requirements for backports
or stable updates.

In your case

>     1.20-29           -> unstable
>     1.20-29~squeeze1  ->  stable/squeeze
>     1.20-29~lenny1    ->  oldstable/lenny

1.20-29~lenny1 < 1.20.29~squeeze1 < 1.20-29

Note that this works because "squeeze" sorts alphabetically after "lenny".
Now that we will release Wheezy, it will get harder to choose release
codenames (as they should [for convenience] sort after "wheezy").

Cheers,

OdyX