Re: What naming scheme should be used for the Swiss Ephemeris?

On Sunday, April 03, 2011 09:25:18 pm Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Paul Elliott
>
> <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> wrote:
> > 1) How should my source packages be named?  Is swe_unix_src_1.77.00 OK?
>
> The source package name should be swe and the version number 1.77.00.

If I change the name how will people know the original name of the pristine
tarball? Or be able to verify that it has not been changed?

> > 2) How should by library package be named? I am sure it should start with
> > libswe, but then I am not so sure.
>
> Depends on the SONAME, see libpkg-guide for a regex that will give you
> the package name for a specific SONAME.
>
> > 3)How should my library -dev package be named?
>
> libswe-dev unless the library has API versioning.
>
> > 4)what should my SONAME be?
>
> The same as upstream. If upstream doesn't build a shared library or
> doesn't set the SONAME correctly then you should discuss that with
> upstream and ask them to maintain the SONAME properly. If they don't
> want to do that then use a Debian-specific SONAME.
>
> > I am not sure how the versioning system used for packaging and libtools
> > should interact with my upstream's versioning system which he has a lot
> > invested in.
>
> Best talk to upstream to clarify that.

I am not sure the upstream knows that sonames exist or wants to know.

If I am creating the libtools infrastructure, am I not responsible for this?
I don't think anyone ever used libtools on this software before.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J