subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

Dear all,

  I am working on the dcmtk package. I get a bizarre behavior when
trying to uninstall it:

$ sudo apt-get remove dcmtk
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  apache2-utils apache2-mpm-itk libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3 apache2.2-bin
libapr1 libaprutil1-ldap apache2.2-common libdcmtk1 libdcmtk2
libaprutil1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  dcmtk
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 4,039 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ... 97834 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing dcmtk ...
Stopping DCMTK Central Test Node: dcmqrscpdpkg: error processing dcmtk
(--remove):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
                                      Starting DCMTK Central Test
Node: dcmqrscp.
 dcmtk

Now as soon as I change set -e into set -x in /etc/init.d/dcmqrscp, I
can uninstall it properly:

$ sudo apt-get remove dcmtk
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  apache2-utils apache2-mpm-itk libaprutil1-dbd-sqlite3 apache2.2-bin
libapr1 libaprutil1-ldap apache2.2-common libdcmtk1 libdcmtk2
libaprutil1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  dcmtk
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 4,039 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ... 97834 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing dcmtk ...
+ PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
+ DESC=DCMTK Central Test Node
+ NAME=dcmqrscp
+ DAEMON=/usr/bin/dcmqrscp
+ PIDFILE=/var/run/dcmqrscp.pid
+ SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/dcmqrscp
+ DCMQRSCP_CFG=/etc/dcmtk/dcmqrscp.cfg
+ test -x /usr/bin/dcmqrscp
+ [ -r /etc/default/dcmqrscp ]
+ . /etc/default/dcmqrscp
+ DCMQRSCP_ENABLE=Yes
+ echo -n Stopping DCMTK Central Test Node: dcmqrscp
Stopping DCMTK Central Test Node: dcmqrscp+ d_stop
+ start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/dcmqrscp.pid
--name dcmqrscp
+ echo .
.
+ exit 0
+ PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
+ DESC=DCMTK Central Test Node
+ NAME=dcmqrscp
+ DAEMON=/usr/bin/dcmqrscp
+ PIDFILE=/var/run/dcmqrscp.pid
+ SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/dcmqrscp
+ DCMQRSCP_CFG=/etc/dcmtk/dcmqrscp.cfg
+ test -x /usr/bin/dcmqrscp
+ [ -r /etc/default/dcmqrscp ]
+ . /etc/default/dcmqrscp
+ DCMQRSCP_ENABLE=Yes
+ echo -n Stopping DCMTK Central Test Node: dcmqrscp
Stopping DCMTK Central Test Node: dcmqrscp+ d_stop
+ start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/dcmqrscp.pid
--name dcmqrscp
+ echo .
.
+ exit 0