Re: RFS: gnome-icon-theme-faenza

Le samedi 19 mars 2011 à 11:42:46 (+0100 CET), Adam Borowski a écrit :
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 08:30:08AM +0100, Julien Valroff wrote:
> > I also wonder whether it wouldn't be better to split the various themes in 3
> > different packages given the size of the unique package (13M).
>
> For most other packages, it would be a good idea.
> For eye-candy for Gnome, we're talking about a 13M addition to
> multi-gigabyte system (minimal Gnome can be less, but if you have to
> trim, you'd install a lighter environment).

I use GNOME but still try and not waste my disk space for things I do not
use.

The average icon theme for GNOME has an uncompressed size of +/- 10M while
these faenza themes are more than 60M.

% aptitude show "~n gnome-icon-theme" | grep -e "^Package" -e "^Uncompressed Size"
Package: gnome-icon-theme-suede
Uncompressed Size: 2089 k
Package: gnome-icon-theme-blankon
Uncompressed Size: 3498 k
Package: gnome-icon-theme-extras
Uncompressed Size: 1053 k
Package: gnome-icon-theme-gartoon
Uncompressed Size: 9298 k
Package: gnome-icon-theme-symbolic
Uncompressed Size: 561 k
Package: gnome-icon-theme-nuovo
Uncompressed Size: 10.4 M
Package: gnome-icon-theme-yasis
Uncompressed Size: 10.9 M
Package: gnome-icon-theme-dlg-neu
Uncompressed Size: 16.7 M
Package: gnome-icon-theme
Uncompressed Size: 14.2 M
Package: gnome-icon-theme-faenza
Uncompressed Size: 63.6 M

> Thus, I'd say splitting would just cause confusion for users who would have
> to make a decision what to happen at apt level.  A choice at the preferences
> dialog level gets a hint (the directory icon) and is instantly visible, at
> apt you have just a name.

A meta package could help these users, eg. gnome-icon-themes-faenza while
each theme has its own package (gnome-icon-theme-faenza,
gnome-icon-theme-faenza-dark etc.)

Of course, each package (short & long) description should make it clear to
users what is contained in each package.

That is however just a proposal, I do understand your point of view as well.

Cheers,
Julien

--
  .''`.   Julien Valroff ~ <julien@kirya.net> ~ <julien@debian.org>
 : :'  :  Debian Developer & Free software contributor