Re: RFS: git-sh

Hello Alex,

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 09:00:11AM +0200, Alex Morega wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "git-sh".
>
>  Package name    : git-sh
>  Version         : 1.0.20100401-1
>  Upstream Author : Ryan Tomayko (http://tomayko.com/)
>  URL             : http://rtomayko.github.com/git-sh/
>  License         : GNU GPLv2
>  Section         : vcs
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> git-sh - a git shell

> The upload would fix these bugs: 590440 (ITP)
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is:
> Git-sh is a handy tool for working in a Git repository. It starts a bash shell with lots of aliases, completion support, and rich information in $PS1.
>
> This is my first package, I hope I've done a good job. Here is my repository on GitHub: https://github.com/alex-morega/git-sh/tree/debian

Can you please provide a dgettable source package (maybe via
mentors.debian.net) or use git-buildpackage instead of a bare git
repository? They make easier to build and review your package.

Also note that the watch file of your package is broken: you should replace
'v(.*)\.tar\.gz' with '(.*)\.tar\.gz' to reflect upstream tags. In addition
the version you are packaging (1.0.20100401) does not exists upstream
(which has only version 1.0). These issues make your package to be not
buildable.

If you want to maintain your packages using git, I suggest you to use
git-buildpackage [0] and git.debian.org [1] (you may also want to join
the collab-maint group on alioth [2]).

Apart from this issues, there are some others:
- You are using a deprecated revision of the DEP5 format (current 168) [3]
  Also note that tha Maintainer field (Upstream-Maintainer in the newer
  revisions) is meant to point to the **upstream** maintainer.

  You can use config-edit (from the libconfig-model-perl package) to check
  the debian/copyright file, as follows:

    config-edit -application dpkg-copyright -ui none

- The upstream license is wrong, should be something like:

    [ DEP5 headers ]

    Files: *
    Copyright: 2008, Ryan Tomayko <http://tomayko.com/>
     2008 Aristotle Pagaltzis <http://plasmasturm.org/>
    License: GPL-2.0+

    Files: git-completion.bash
    Copyright: 2006,2007 Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@spearce.org>
    License: GPL-2.0

    License: GPL-2.0+
     [ Text of GPL-2.0+ ]

    License: GPL-2.0
     [ Text of GPL-2.0 ]

- You are using old Standards-Version (current 3.9.1)
- You are including not modified README.source (you can just remove it)
- You should remove unneeded comments from the rules file
- You may also integrate your patches with the DEP3 guidelines [4] (if you
  use git-pq(1) shipped with git-buildpackage, this is done automatically)
- The upstream CHANGES file is installed automatically by
  dh_installchangelogs, you dont need to install it with dh_installdocs

Please note that I'm not a DD so I can't sponsor your package.

Cheers :)

[0] http://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/gbp.html
[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/PackagingProject