Re: Transition from oldpackagename to newpackagename

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 01:28:13PM +0100, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> Also beside that the package manager might be a bit confused, it confuses
> maybe the user who will see that his beloved package oldname will be removed
> in an upgrade to a new version of debian! Its far better in this case to leave
> the "cruft" behind until the user is in the mood to remove this stuff and can
> realize that newname is now the provider of his beloved program.
> (S)he will have a hard time to see it in an operation which changes thousands
> of packages as a dist-upgrade will do…
> So in my eyes doing everything in one step is not always the best solution…
---end quoted text---

How about adding some field to the dummy transitional package
(oldpackagename), a field that indicates that it is a dummy transitional
package. Hence apt would markauto "oldpackagename", and unmarkauto the
"newpackagename". So if the user runs apt-get autoremove, the dummy
transiational packages would be selected for removal.

--
 ‎أحمد المحمودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
  Digital design engineer