Re: RFS: xnbd

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 05:45:21PM +0100, Arno Töll wrote:
> FWIW: xNBD derived from the original NBD package and still shares code
> with it afaict. This might bring up the question whether it is legal to
> distribute xNBD as GPL-2+ (I can't tell xNBD is a fork though). The
> license statements made by ustream are a bit misleading and perhaps
> incomplete, as he seems to use the word GPL-2/GPL-2+ exchangeable.

If true, that would be a breach of copyright. NBD is GPL2 *only*, and
the number of people who have contributed to NBD in the past is too
numerous to change this anymore (if I had the motivation to do so, which
I don't). However, I just had a quick look over the source code, and
while their license file does indeed state that there is some reuse with
"other projects", I can't immediately find any (nontrivial) code that I
recognize; so it might not be code from nbd that they're talking about.

Please talk to your upstream to get them to clarify this; and while
you're at it, might want to let them know that I'm always interested in
taking useful patches for vanilla nbd :-)

trying to fool the system.