Re: Rules Makefile, Permission Denied

Am Sonntag, den 13.02.2011, 00:17 +0000 schrieb Jim sonodrome:

> I'm trying to build my first deb package and I've hit a problem,
> I don't understand how the permissions work, I've just started using
> fakeroot for running: fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -F, but now my
> package won't compile anymore, how exactly do I get the files
> installed in /usr/share or /usr/share/applications??

You don't install anything into these directories. The files are placed
into $(CURDIR)/debian/{binary package name}/ and then debhelper packs
the contents of this directory into the binary package. So you create
the package layout inside a build directory and not where the package
contents will be unpacked to.

> here's my rules file:
>
> #!/usr/bin/make -f
[snip]
> DEST1 = /usr/share/gtk-link-lizard-1.4
> DEST2 = /usr/share/applications

Replace this by:

DEST1 = $(CURDIR)/debian/{whatever the binary package is called}/usr/share/gtk-link-lizard-1.4
DEST2 = $(CURDIR)/debian/{whatever the binary package is called}/usr/share/applications

Say your binary package is called 'gtk-link-lizard', then replace it as:

DEST1 = $(CURDIR)/debian/gtk-link-lizard/usr/share/gtk-link-lizard-1.4
DEST2 = $(CURDIR)/debian/gtk-link-lizard/usr/share/applications

Please read the existing guides and packaging howtos. I further
recommend the manual pages of debhelper.

Regards, Daniel