Re: RFS: libmatheval (updated package)

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 16:49 +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 03:17:09PM +0100, Julian Taylor wrote:
> > Dear mentors,
> >
> > I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 1.1.7-2
> > of my package "libmatheval".
> >
> > It builds these binary packages:
> > libmatheval1 - GNU library for evaluating symbolic mathematical
> > expressions (run
> > libmatheval1-dev - GNU library for evaluating symbolic mathematical
> > expressions (dev
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm not a DD, so I cannot upload your package, but just a little note -
> for some time now, the Release Team has expressed a preference to have
> lib*-dev packages not contain the library SONAME in the package name in
> order to ease transitions to newer library versions (when the SONAME
> would change).  IMHO, you would do well to either:
>
> 1. Rename the libmatheval1-dev package to libmatheval-dev, add a
>    Provides: libmatheval1-dev to its Package stanza in the control file,
>    notify the maintainers of the packages that depend on it (it would
>    seem that those would be h5utils and science-mathematics) to change
>    their Build-Depends line to libmatheval-dev, wait for them to upload
>    new versions with the fix, and then drop the Provides line.
>
> ...or...
>
> 2. Also provide a dummy libmatheval-dev package that simply depends on
>    libmatheval1-dev and notify the maintainers of the packages that
>    depend on it to change their Build-Depends lines.
>
> Of course, it is entirely your right to decide that this is a change too
> big for the first upload in which you are adopting the package; still, I
> just thought I'd say that as a longer-term idea :)
>
> Thanks for your work in adopting and refreshing the package!
>
> G'luck,
> Peter

I guess this makes sense as the libmatheval api is unlikely to change in
a backward incompatible way.
I chose the first way and added a Conflicts and Replaces on so versioned
package.

A new version is uploaded with the debian-science policy changes in the
control file.
Also a git repository is added on alioth.