Re: RFS: fgrun

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Chris Baines <cbaines8@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "fgrun".
>
> * Package name    : fgrun
>  Version         : 1.5.2-1
>  Upstream Author : Frederic Bouvier (Project admin)
> <fredb@users.sourceforge.net>
> * URL             : http://sourceforge.net/projects/fgrun/
> * License         : GPL-2
>  Section         : games
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> fgrun      - graphical frontend for running FlightGear

Thanks for the contribution:

debian/copyright
- Try to follow DEP-5 for debian/copyright, it has picked up steam
lately and is in candidate state [1].
- An important point, the true source code license says "either
version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version." but
your debian/copyright says "You are free to distribute this software
under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2." You need
to say that you are licensed version 2 or later (GPL-2+). The reason
why that is important is that you say "  debian/* is licensed under
the GPL version 3,  see "/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3"."
Techinically, that's a GPL violation (GPL-2 is not compatible with
GPL-3). Also, it's good to have your debian packaging license match
your source code, so I suggest making debian/* GPL-2+.

debian/fgrun.desktop
- I've seen that most "Comments" use active voice and start with a
verb: e.g. "Choose your settings and launch Flight Gear"   Can someone
else on mentors point to where that comes from? I can't find a
citation. This is a really minor point, but if you look through your
menus, you will see most major applications do that.

debian/changelog
- you don't need that second bullet point, instead follow DEP-3 [2]

debian/rules
- "dh_auto_configure -- --bindir=/usr/games
--datadir=/usr/share/games" should "--datadir=/usr/share/fgrun" ? what
is in /usr/share/games?

debian/control
- Standards-Version: 3.9.0  should be changed to 3.9.1 (see the policy
document).
- It is strongly suggested to use a VCS [3]

I couldn't get it to build in pbuilder (sid chroot):

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -I/usr/include
-DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/share/locale\" -g -O2 -c -o wizard.o wizard.cxx
In file included from wizard.h:25,
                 from wizard.cxx:7:
AirportBrowser.h:31:18: error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
In file included from wizard.h:25,
                 from wizard.cxx:7:
AirportBrowser.h:170: error: 'gzFile' does not name a type

Regards,
Scott

[1] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/
[2] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/