Re: RFR: webalizer - web server log analysis program

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 09:15:37AM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Hi,
> let's restart from scratch, concentrating on the packaging side of the story.
OK, Also added Felipe in CC.

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 22:53, Julien Viard de Galbert
> <julien@vdg.blogsite.org> wrote:
> > Dear mentors and mentees,
> >
> > I am looking for reviews for my package "webalizer"
> >
> > The previous maintainer Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) agreed that
> > I take over the package, also as he his really busy and this package
> > will be targeting experimental (due to the freeze) I'd like the package
> > to be really polished before asking him for sponsorship.
> >
> > My packaging work is currently on collab-maint:
> >  http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/webalizer.git;a=summary
> >
> > I already got the help of Pim van den Berg on the logio patch.
> > So more attention is needed on other patches especially the TTF patch
> > and the gettext patches.
>
> What exactly do you "feel" is need to be checked on those 2 patch series?

Those patches did not just apply well from the previous packages so
there was some work. (It was the same for logio and Pim van den Berg
pointed a few mistakes I did, so thanks).

I just imported the TTF patch again and unless I did the same mistakes
again I ended up with an equivalent patch, so I guess this one is OK.

Let's concentrate on the gettext support.
Upstream has a way to select the language at compile time _only_.
This patch uses gettext to provide translations at run time.
With all the changes upstream the original patch mostly did not apply.
But fortunately the patch header included a description on how the patch
was build.
This involved a script that basically parse the C header for English
from upstream and replace the original text variable by the actual text
enclosed in a gettext call.

The patch also included some code change and the po files.

What I did:
 * I did move most of the changes to the code in a separate patch:
   23_gettext_first_part.diff
   This patch also create a slightly modified version of the script.
 * The second patch 24_gettext_generated.diff is basically generated by
   running the script.
 * Finally the patch 25_gettext_po_files.diff adds the updated po
   directory. So adding or fixing po files can be done separately.

This patch was the most complicated to port, that's why I'm asking for
reviews.

The other option is probably to push the package to experimental and
wait for user feedback ;)

Best Regards,

--
Julien Viard de Galbert                        <julien@vdg.blogsite.org>