Re: [PING] RFR/RFS: openvpn-auth-radius (new package, fixes retitled RFP)

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 01:13:52PM +0100, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> Hi Sven,
>
> thank you very much for your thoughts!
>
> Also hi to Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta and Stephen Gran. I added you two to
> CC for you maintain openvpn and freeradius. The openvpn-auth-radius
> package is to combine these packages. Sven was uncomfortable with it
> being maintained by a company and suggested a team (see "team stuff"
> paragraph).
>
> [begin team stuff]
>
> > * I'm not comfortable with the maintainer address set to a company. I've not
> > yet formed a final opinion on that topic because technically that's just like
> > any team maintained address but having explicitly a company as the maintainer
> > is something new (at least for me). Plus I, as the sponsor, am not part of
> > that team so it's not like sponsoring a team upload but more like sponsoring
> > an individual maintainer upload. I'm not sure how other people in the project
> > feel about it.
> >
> > My main concern as a sponsor in that regard is that you often try to create
> > some kind of trust relationship to the person maintaining that package but
> > if you leave the company for whatever reason the people maintaining the package
> > can change and you can go back to the start. Though if you leave and
> > subsequently orphan the package we'll technically end up in the same situation.
> >
> > Another point might be that a company as a maintainer might suggest that this
> > company has a special role within Debian, donno how innocent users might
> > react to this. Could be avoided if you'd name it 'Cygnusnetwork Debian Team'
> > or something like that.
>
> The concerns are understandable, especially your concern about trust.
> The company was chosen as maintainer for the actual maintainer probably
> will change at some point in time, so picking the company will provide a
> more stable contact and long term user.
>
> I'd further your suggestion to use a team that is not strictly related
> to the company. This would make the packaging more open to other
> contributors. However creating a team of one and a half (mainly
> reporting problems to me) members does not seem useful to me. It should
> be no problem to create a mailinglist if that helps. Using a mailinglist
> provided by debian is no problem either. Also joining an existing team
> is possible. Can anyone suggest one to join? Which of the mentioned
> options would you prefer and why?
>
> [end team stuff]

I can help a bit with the packaging / joing a team if that helps the
package going into the archive. Other than that I see no need in my
presence :)

Regards,

Alberto

--
Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta    | Formación, consultoría y soporte técnico
agi@(inittab.org|debian.org)| en GNU/Linux y software libre

Key fingerprint = 9782 04E7 2B75 405C F5E9  0C81 C514 AF8E 4BA4 01C3