Detecting build architecture

Hi,

I try to build a package which needs information about the architecture
at compile time.  Upstream said I need to set ARCH_64=1 if the
architecture has 64 bit *pointers* (they said on architectures with 64
bit integers and 32 bit pointers the programm needs to be compiled as 32
bit).  Is there any safe way to obtain this information automatically or
do I need to do some lookup in a table with `dpkg --print-architecture`
as key (and if yes how would this table look like in the sense above)?

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de