Re: RFS: failmalloc

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 01:14:03AM -0600, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Hi Allesandro,

Hi :),

> Since I am not a Debian Developer, I cannot upload this.  Some
> comments anyway.

Thank you for the review.

> Does failmalloc have a public API?  Is it meant to be linked into
> programs without using the LD_PRELOAD mechanism?
>
> If not, what good is a development library for it?

Quoting from the upstream site "This software generates a shared library
which can be loaded by LD_PRELOAD or linked at compilation time", so yes, it
is also meant to be linked without LD_PRELOAD.

> > Package: libfailmalloc0
>
> I would suggest installing it to
>
> 	/usr/lib/libfailmalloc/libfailmalloc.so
>
> .  That way, there is no temptation to link programs to it explicitly.
> Unversioned since there is no reason to install multiple versions at
> once.

Same as above.

> Since you are selling it as a tool rather than a preload library
> (reasonable enough), have you considered providing a
>
> 	/usr/bin/failmalloc
>
> script to do the LD_PRELOAD automatically?  See fakeroot for
> inspiration.

This is a great idea, I didn't thought about this. Should I rename the
package, or just put that script in the libfailmalloc0?

> > #!/usr/bin/make -f
> > # -*- makefile -*-
> > # Sample debian/rules that uses debhelper.
>
> It's not a sample any more, is it?  I'd suggest removing the
> authorship notice.

My fault, I forgot to remove that.

> Hope that helps,

Thank you very much for the review and the great idea.

Cheers

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'