How to change the version of a package

How to change to a new version number?

OK - I have the sources unpacked and made changes in the code.  This is not a local version change.

If I run:

 debchange -v 0.0.20100823

From the main directory I get a text editor that pops up and I enter the version - then save - I get:
 debchange: debian/changelog unmodified; exiting.

Do I have to manually edit the /pkgname-version/debian/files file?

Yes, I have DEBFULLNAME and DEBEMAIL set.

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl@xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
-- Mark Twain