Re: RFS: poppler (updated package)

Hi,

Anyway, the uploaded packge is unblocked :-)

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 12:34:04AM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> OK.  The goal there was to prevent downstreams from shipping xpdf
> alongside an incompatible poppler, which Ubuntu looks on course to do
> [0]. If you know of an appropriate solution to this problem, please let
> me know.

Interesting POV.
 * With < dependency, Ubuntu will not build.
 * Without < dependency, Ubuntu will build broken package and publish
   such package.

This is I guess Universe program for them.  They make minimum efforts and
gurantee nothing as I understand.  Your bug report may be enough for now.

Do you have patch to address API change?  Then add it to the source and
bug report.  If you can, please upload to PPA etc.  I do not know Ubuntu
enough to suggest answer.

Anyway, after squeeze, we need to make patch to adopt 0.14 API.

This is why I wanted to have clear link to gentoo patch origin.  I am
sure they may update to 0.14 API.

> > * 5ab7d313878ddee9307f6c609b90dd84d71a8fc2
> OK.  I agree with that.  However, the bug does exist and mixed systems
> are a rather common use case for many end users.  Wouldn't it be better
> to keep the bug open and reassign to fontconfig (where the expat
> dependency originates) to have them take a look at the origins of the
> issue?

The best course of action is what you suggested if we can trace it down
for sure.  fontconfig already have versioned dependency libexpat1 (>=
1.95.8).  What was reported was (>= 2.0.1-7)

But I did not have ways to confirm this versioned dependency was from
fontconfig for sure.  We have limitted resources.

If you or original bug reporter wish to make such effort, please reopen
bug and make appropriate reassignment.

Osamu