shlibs file

HI

I understand the role of the Depends: section in the control file
information area of a .deb package - it specifies on what other
libraries ( and their minimum version)  our current shared library (which
is in the current .deb file data area)  depends
in order to work correctly when it is linked to an executable. This will
probably stop the current .deb from being installed until
we first install all these dependencies packages .

But what is the role of the shlibs file ? I am reading the Debian policy
chapter 8.
Each line of shlibs is of the type : libname   < major soname version >
dependency
This  states that our package library ( assume it contains 1) with given
major version number  needs the package specified in the dependency field
.
But this is obvious because we deal /just produced the package that
contains this library.
Or maybe this information is used later  if the package was removed and
the shlibs still exist in the system to say what we need reinstall  if a
binary  calls an API of the library  and the library is missing ( was
before )
Can somebody clarify ?

thanks

Zvi Dubitzky
Email:dubi@il.ibm.com
IBM Haifa Research Laboratory    Phone: +972-4-8296182
Haifa, 31905, ISRAEL