Packaging a WM configured with "config.h" (C header)

Hi All,

I'm currently working on packaging Mucsa, a lightweight tiling WM.
Like dwm, it can be configured through its header file (config.h),
which has to be recompiled each time, but unlike dwm, its settings can
also be configured in a .musca_start file (in $HOME by default, does
not need recompiling whatsoever). So, how would you suggest I package
this?
Assuming I compile against the default settings in config.h (which are
quite sane), should I:

-have config.h put somewhere on the system?
-put a reasonable .musca_start in /usr/share/doc/musca/example?
-create an empty (other than comments) .musca_start in /etc and change
the configuration to read from there by default?
-create one in /etc, only call it musca.conf, muscarc, or something
more standard for /etc
-create a .musca_start containing the defaults already set in
config.h, just so people know what options are set and can change
them?
-do something totally different?

My flexibility with this option is as follows (taken from the author's website):
Setting: startup
Default: .musca_start
Musca commands to run at start up. The default setting is relative to
the working directory; ie, Musca will use $HOME/.musca_start only if
Musca is started from $HOME, which is the usual method for login
managers. The file must contain one command per line. Lines starting
with hash # are comments and blank lines are acceptable.

(I know it says "commands," but they can be used to set all of musca's options.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to set musca's config.h to
look for .musca_start in $HOME first and fall back to /etc, although,
maybe this could be fudged with a well-placed symlink?

Also, seeing as the Makefile contains no install target by default,
should I write one and record it as a patch with quilt? Is something
like:
install: musca
       install -d $(DESTDIR)/usr/bin
       install ./musca $(DESTDIR)/usr/bin
ok? I know I would give instructions for what to do with the config
file here too, but that's to be decided.

Finally, my understanding is that when packaging for Debian, manpages
should not be copied over in the makefile, but instead specified in
the musca.manpages file in debian/. Is this correct?

Sorry for the ignorance, this is my first Debian package, I have read
the New Maintainer's Guide and most of Debian Policy. Thanks to those
who can bear my questions.

Best,
Nick