Re: shared library packaging

[...] (Adrian would like to be CC'ed)

> I'd be very happy for a few hints on how to manage the package.  I know
> I should watch for changes to the symbols, but I'm not quite sure how to
> manage the symbol files.  Looking at the buildd logs, I can see that
> there are quite a few ABIs (I guess C++ is guilty here.)
>
> I usually build for i386, so I could of course just ignore the other
> arches, but I don't think that's what I'm supposed to do.  Hunting down
> the symbol files for all other architectures before uploading a new
> version is quite a hassle (or is there an easier way than getting
> accounts, so library maintainers really do this?

Not sure whether I'm missing some other questions in this post, but as far as
symbols are concerned: Current dpkg (versions in testing and unstable) has a
version of dpkg-gensymbols that supports symbol tags, including the "c++" tag.
This allows the use of demangled symbols (no hazzle with arch-specific ABI),
which you can even combine with regular expressions (for arch-specific API, such
as long vs. int, etc.).

The man-page of dpkg-gensymbols has all the information; if you want to look at
an example, see the diagnostics package, I'm happily using these new features
over there.

Best,
Michael