shared library packaging

Heyho!

[cc:s welcome, thank you.]

I was recently made aware that my management of webkitkde / libkwerbkit1
was quite a mess.  I've now tried to get the package in better shape
(0.9.6svn1158036-2) by adding symbol files and renaming the library
package back so the library package matches the soname and not the
version name (I was confused because the library is installed as
"libkwebkit0.9.5" but has libkwebkit.so.1 as the soname.)

I'd be very happy for a few hints on how to manage the package.  I know
I should watch for changes to the symbols, but I'm not quite sure how to
manage the symbol files.  Looking at the buildd logs, I can see that
there are quite a few ABIs (I guess C++ is guilty here.)

I usually build for i386, so I could of course just ignore the other
arches, but I don't think that's what I'm supposed to do.  Hunting down
the symbol files for all other architectures before uploading a new
version is quite a hassle (or is there an easier way than getting
accounts, so library maintainers really do this?

cheers
-- vbi

--
This bug is quite subtle and only happens in a very interesting
situation where a real-time threaded process is in the middle of a