Re: Working with upstream-developed debian packaging

On 03/08/10 20:52, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 07:58:08PM -0400, Felipe Sateler a écrit :
>>
>> that would imply changing the scm tool for the maintainer (which I
>> noted above is not me).
>
> I am confused…
>
> In the upstream Subversion repository, there is a debian directory whose
> maintainer is a Code::Blocks developer.
>
>   http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/codeblocks/trunk/debian/control

Yes.

> In the ITP bug, it is mentionned that the package prepared for Debian
> is already in Ubuntu. The Debian directory is not the same and the VCS
> containing the source package is not mentionned.
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=304570#101
>
> On your side, you would like to contribute as co-maintainer to the Debian
> package, which has not been accepted yet.
>
> It has been proposed that you ignore upstream's debian directory using the 3.0
> (quilt) format, but if your intention is to be a co-maintainer, then the
> decision of which format to use is not entirely in you hands.
>
> If your goal is to stay close to the debianization work of the upstream
> maintainers, you can pull the upstream Subversion repository with git-svn.
> Using git you can produce patches that can be sent upstream. This does not
> require them to switch to git.
>
> This said, I recommend that you do not ignore the package that is already in Ubuntu…
>
>   http://packages.ubuntu.com/codeblocks

Hmm, I think I need to polish my reading skills... I missed the part
where codeblocks was actually uploaded to Ubuntu. I will get in touch
with the Ubuntu maintainers, then, so that we can avoid duplicating
effort. Thanks for noticing this!

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler