Package Names Containing Versions

Hello Mentors,

I am looking at releasing the next upstream version of simgear as this
is holding back both one of my upcoming packages (fgrun) and the
upgrading of the FlightGear program.

The source package (old) currently produces two binary packages
simgear1.9.1 and simgear-dev. I am wondering why the former package is
named simgear1.9.1 and not just simgear as 1.9.1 is the version?

Initially I thought it was because is allows it to be installed
alongside another version of the package but this is not possible as it
conflicts with all other versions of simgear.

Thanks,

Chris