Re: will different compiler generate different symbols?

[...]

> > I found my package will generate different symbols in different
> > platform(i386 & amd64), if I use symbols generated in amd64, it will not
> > compile in i386; if I use symbols generated in i386, it will not compile
> > in amd64, I have not test other platform, but I think it may have the
> > same problem too. so I want my package have no symbols file.
>
> This is a standard problem with C++ libraries.  You have to use
> architecture-specific symbols for a lot of C++ libraries.  There are new
> facilities in dpkg to try to help making writing those symbol files
> easier, but I'm still not getting a warm and fuzzy mature feeling about
> use of symbols with C++ at this point.

Before dpkg 1.15.7.2 I had quite a few issues in the diagnostics package, which
had symbol files for C++ for quite some time already, including spurious build
failures because of different compiler versions. But with c++ name de-mangling
support symbol files have become really manageable, and combining regex and c++
gives sheer beauty :-)

Just my 2c,
Michael