Re: purging upstream source tarball, or not?

2010/7/17 Sébastien Barthélemy <barthelemy@crans.org>:

> Besides collada-dom, the upstream svn and tarballs include several
> related programs, which I do not plan to build. They are either
> - dependancies (such as pcre) which are already packaged separately in
>  debian,

Please ask upstream to remove embedded code copies from their SVN and
tarballs. If they refuse to do so it is a good idea to remove them in
the initial phase of debian/rules build before a compiler is involved
so that there is less chance they will be used in the future. If
you're already repacking the tarball due to DFSG issues you may as
well remove them in get-orig-source. If it turns out that they are
modified by your upstream and as a result you cannot remove them at
build or repack time, please let the Debian security team know so they
can take a note of it in their (very scary) embedded-code-copies file.

> - or distinct programs, which work with or depend on collada-dom, and
>  are released with it. They could be built and packaged in debian, from
>  the same source package, but I won't do it myself (at least not now).

Leave them in for folks who may want to download the source and build them.

>  I think some of these additional programs should go in contrib, because
>  they use nvidia-cg, whereas collada-dom is fit to main.

You won't be able to build those from the same source package. I'd
suggest asking upstream to split them out into a separate source
package collada-dom-cg so that anyone who is interested can build them
if needed. In addition, please ask them to look into porting that
stuff to GLSL/OpenCL.

--
bye,
pabs