purging upstream source tarball, or not?

Hi,

I'm trying to package libcolladadom, and I get a few generic questions.
I already asked them in the RFS [1], but later realized that I would get a
wider audience asking them separately. So here I am.

Besides collada-dom, the upstream svn and tarballs include several
related programs, which I do not plan to build. They are either
- dependancies (such as pcre) which are already packaged separately in
  debian,
- or distinct programs, which work with or depend on collada-dom, and
  are released with it. They could be built and packaged in debian, from
  the same source package, but I won't do it myself (at least not now).
  I think some of these additional programs should go in contrib, because
  they use nvidia-cg, whereas collada-dom is fit to main.

Should I remove the extraneous source files, or keep them? In the current
version I kept them.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-mentors@lists.debian.org/msg69243.html

Thank you for your help, and please don't hesitate to point me to the
relevant doc.

--
Sébastien