Re: Help for watch file

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Romain Beauxis <toots@rastageeks.org> wrote:

>> Please do not continue spreading the use of that redirector. Just because
>> there's one for sourceforge it doesn't mean it is okay to have one for
>> other  hosting services. We ideally want *none*.
>
> (...)
>
>> > I would've had tons of emails from angry users asking why it didn't work,
>> > if the redirector was actually broken :)
>>
>> 16 packages use it, there should be none.
>
> May I ask why ?

It should be pretty obvious: less work for Debian and others:

less work for Debian nameservers

less work for the person maintaining the redirector

less work for the server hosting the redirector

less points of failure for uscan/DEHS and thus less work for the DEHS
maintainer and uscan users in figuring out failures.

less work for any other distros that do all of the above

It does mean more work for Google since they have to inform every
engineer working on the download stuff of the need to keep URL schemes
useful for autodownloaders.

There 3 redirectors curently (sf, github, and google code) and all of
them have been around for a while, I'm skeptical that any of these
systems are going to change for us any time soon. Probably the best
way to deal with that is to add code to uscan to do add the right opts
rather than creating redirect sites. It looks like even sf.net could
now be automatically scanned with the right downloadurlmangle and
filenamemangle options.

--
bye,
pabs