Re: Asking for DMUA: Yes while seeking first sponsor

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl
<tolimar@debian.org> wrote:

> I noticed that recently some people seem to seek first time sponsors
> while asking for setting the "DM-Upload-Allowed: yes" flag at the very
> same time.

This isn't the only misuse of DMUA that exists, some people set it in
their package instead of asking the sponsor to set it. Others go
further and do not mention that in debian/changelog nor in their RFS
mail.

> While I can certainly understand Maintainers want to upload their
> packages ASAP themselves, I would like to point out that I consider that
> quite against the spirit of the Debian Maintainer Concept.
>
> The idea is, that you convince an (experienced) Developer, that you can
> do your work on your own on a per package basis.  As Debian Maintainers
> don't need to pass the regular procedures to check their "technical
> capabilities" (so to speak), the idea is to select the packages you are
> allowed to upload on a case by case basis.  Or to give you an example:
> Just because you can package simple game doesn't necessarily mean you
> can package and maintain a shared library.
>
> So I think asking for DMUA:Yes while seeking an initial sponsor is just
> plain wrong, as convincing a DD shouldn't be a one timer.  I therefore
> ask DMs not to ask to set this flag on the first upload, and DDs not to
> do so.

Perhaps the problem here is one of communication? Maybe Debian isn't
communicating the above to new DMs properly?

As an aside, I'd personally like to see DMUA move from source packages
to a mail bot or LDAP or something else.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise