sponsorship, asking before packaging (was: Re: RFS: rush)

On 13 June 2010 12:47, Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org> wrote:
> * George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> [100613 09:33]:
>> * the easy part: there is nothing wrong for non-DD to ask in advance if there
>> are interested sponsor(s) of the piece of software they intend to package or
>> adopt, especially with large and complex pieces. That would avoid wasting
>> their time.
> but I'd say asking in advance is mostly a waste of time.
> There is hardly a way for a sponsor to know in advance if they are
> proficient enough in the languages and tools used, in the helper chosen
> for packaging and all the other stuff mostly only known when the package
> is mostly finished.

I think I agree that adding another layer of mail to debian-mentors
will cost more time than it saves.  However, when the mentee has a
regular sponsor, it is useful for them to check feasibility in
advance, and seek advice.  (And all software that fits into a
pre-existing team should go to that team in any case.)

I have a few ideas to improve the mentors situation, but I'll put them
in a new thread once I've thought them over.

--
Tim Retout <tim@retout.co.uk>