Re: A lot of pending packages

On 06/12/2010 03:31 PM, Klaus Grue wrote:
> So this is my experience with Fedora: When I came with my package, the
> Fedora community did something for me (reviewed the package) then
> required me to do something for them (do a pre-review), and the package
> was accepted. That seems quite fair.
>
> Furthermore, Fedora had a list of packages waiting for review, and it
> was easy to find one to pick.
>
> I am not saying Fedora is ideal. On a Fedora mailing list, I just saw an
> invitation to come and celebrate the one-year anniversary of a Fedora
> review request.
>
> My point, however, is that having some sort of formalized way in which
> maintainers can unload DDs could be a good thing.

I don't know anything about packaging for Fedora, so I cannot compare,
but I'll point out that reviewing a package requires a far greater
understanding than packaging your own software does. So, I do not
consider myself capable of reviewing someone else's package, even though
I feel capable of changing things in my own package.

I really appreciate the work that DD's here do and I follow d-mentors
and d-python to whatever extent my time and capabilities allow. I don't
see myself reviewing a package unless I get the hang of the details
(maybe by examining every RFS and try to understand the DD's review for
a good amount of time).

I'd imagine there are other newbies who've been able to get the hang of
packaging much faster and are able to make far more contributions while
others, who just want to get one package uploaded, don't follow
d-mentors after their review was completed. So the various levels of
interest and capability, I feel, don't make it possible to make a
review-in-return required.

Now I don't know whether this is what you were suggesting, but d-mentors
could encourage non-DDs to try their hand at mini-reviews where basic
things are checked and a DD could then do an independent review. By
comparing the reviews newbies can learn to review packages and
contribute later on.

Umang