Re: RFS: 'snap2' rsync-based backup program with GUI

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:
> On Sa, 12 Jun 2010, Paul Wise wrote:

>> One of the ways dpkg-source v3 differs from dpkg-source v1 is that any
>> debian/ directory in the orig.tar.gz is removed before the
>> debian.tar.gz is unpacked. So debian.tar.gz cannot be empty and the
>> upstream debian/ directory if any is irrelevant.

> That is not compliant with what it *SHOULD* do. If there is a debian
> dir in upstream (again, anyone showing me the policy point forbidding
> that) then files in their should be replaced or whatever, but
> it is not correct (IMHO) that these files are removed.

I don't think this has the implication that it sounds like you believe it
has.  Suppose that you're packaging something where upstream includes a
debian directory, and you're using format 3.0.  You unpack the upstream
distribution and have a debian directory.  You make whatever modifications
are needed.  Then you build a source package.  It will then save the
complete contents of the debian directory in the *.debian.tar.gz,
including what shipped with upstream.  When you unpack that source
package, the upstream debian directory is deleted and then replaced with
the package debian.tar.gz, which includes the bits from upstream that you
kept.

So it really has very little impact on your workflow (although the
packaging helpers need to correctly handle importing new upstream source,
and I'm not sure how well they'll do there -- but that's not a source
format problem).  And it ensures that, for instance, if you delete an
upstream file in the debian directory it will stay deleted, which the old
format doesn't do.