debhelper 7 tutorial

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 09:29:39AM +0300, Zaar Hai wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > In that case, teh suggestion is to use debhelper 7, that "mimik" the
> > cdbs "small" debian/rules but in a sane way, without the black magic
> > cdbs introduces (cdbs is easy for easy packages, but when you have to
> > deviate from its road, it becomes a lot more difficult to do that in a
> > proper way).
> I'm not sure I understand that debhelper 7 thing. Can you point me to
> documentations about this "mimik" and other stuff?

Start from debhelper(7) and related manpages.  This is the right way.

If you want slightly easy laerning curve, think about maint-guide
("Debian New Maintainers' Guide ").
  http://www.jp.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html

> And yes, I totally agree that CDBS is a black magic, even with pretty
> deep make knowledge.

This recent update of maint-guide was a part of my learning process of
debhelper 7. In order to explain this debhelper 7 for novice like me, I
did good amount of experimenting and reading source etc.

If you find issues, please file bug reports to maint-guide.

Osamu