Re: Update projectM packages

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Matthias Klumpp <matthias@nlinux.org> wrote:

> I recently repackaged the projectM music visualization libraries. Debian
> has version 1.2 at time, current upstream is 2.0.1.
> Now I have the following problem: My source package "projectm" would
> replace the "libprojectm" and the "libvisual-projectm" source packages. I
> contacted the authors of both packages, but did not receive a reply for
> months.

Please read devref:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/beyond-pkging.html#mia-qa

libvisual-projectm is orphaned, so you don't need to contact anyone
for it. Just adding the libvisual-projectm binary package to the
libprojectm/projectm source package is enough for the ftpmasters to
autocruft remove the libvisual-projectm source package.

A new upstream release isn't appropriate for an NMU.

Are you sure upstream didn't change the ABI without bumping the
SONAME? Looking at the symbols, it seems that there are a lot of
symbol renames, deletions and so on. It looks like they forgot to do a
SONAME bump. There is a transition freeze coming this month, this
should probably wait until squeeze is released, or go to experimental.

Normally one would rename the libprojectm source package to projectm
and change its version of the packaging instead of starting from
scratch.

A review of the package itself:

debian/patches/debian-changes-2.0.1-0 needs editing and renaming.

Please forward the two patches upsream if you haven't already.

projectm-test could probably be dropped unless users would actually need it.

No need to distribute src/README since it is about compiling/installing.

Er, your source package contains debian/libprojectm.debhelper.log, how
on earth did you manage that???

Wow, upstream sure does embed a lot of external libraries, fonts. It
is not appropriate to do that, please ask them to split them out of
the main source tarball into a dependencies.tar.gz or similar. While
upstream still embeds them and to ensure they are not used by Debian,
it is a good idea to rm -rf the relevant directories before running
upstream's build system. If any of them are actually used in Debian,
please notify the Debian security team.

You might want to use debhelper 7 instead of cdbs:

https://penta.debconf.org/dc9_schedule/events/418.en.html

Please reassign #580559 to src:libprojectm and merge it with #565355.
It looks like the maintainer is already working on this anyway, see
#565355 for details. Next time you might want to investigate more
closely before duplicating work?

There are many many (mostly minor) lintian complaints (including some
inappropriately overridden ones):

O: projectm source: weak-library-dev-dependency libprojectm-dev on
libprojectm2 (<<  ${source:Upstream-Version}+1~)
O: projectm source: weak-library-dev-dependency libprojectm-qt-dev on
libprojectm-qt1 (<<  ${source:Upstream-Version}+1~)
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir src/projectM-sdlvis/CVS
O: projectm source: ancient-autotools-helper-file
src/macos/FTGL/unix/config.sub 2003-01-03
O: projectm source: ancient-libtool src/macos/FTGL/unix/ltmain.sh 1.4.3
O: projectm source: ancient-autotools-helper-file
src/macos/FTGL/unix/config.guess 2003-01-10
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir src/libprojectM/fonts/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir src/libprojectM/presets/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir
src/projectM-iTunes/macos/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir src/projectM-iTunes/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir
src/projectM-iTunes/win32/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir src/projectM-screensaver/CVS
O: projectm source: ancient-autotools-helper-file
src/WinLibs/FTGL/unix/config.sub 2003-01-03
O: projectm source: ancient-libtool src/WinLibs/FTGL/unix/ltmain.sh 1.4.3
O: projectm source: ancient-autotools-helper-file
src/WinLibs/FTGL/unix/config.guess 2003-01-10
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir src/projectM-wxvis/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir src/projectM-moviegen/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir fonts/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir presets_projectM/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir presets_milkdrop/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir presets_test/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir presets_yin/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-cvs-control-dir presets/CVS
P: projectm source: source-contains-prebuilt-binary src/projectM-sdlvis/a.out
P: projectm source: source-contains-prebuilt-windows-binary
src/WinLibs/pthreads/lib/pthreadGC2.dll
P: projectm source: source-contains-prebuilt-windows-binary
src/WinLibs/pthreads/lib/pthreadGCE2.dll
P: projectm source: source-contains-prebuilt-windows-binary
src/WinLibs/pthreads/lib/pthreadVCE2.dll
P: projectm source: source-contains-prebuilt-windows-binary
src/WinLibs/pthreads/lib/pthreadVSE2.dll
P: libprojectm-dev: no-upstream-changelog
P: projectm-data: no-upstream-changelog
P: libprojectm-qt-dev: no-upstream-changelog
P: libprojectm2: no-upstream-changelog
X: libprojectm2: shlib-calls-exit usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00
I: libprojectm2: no-symbols-control-file usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00
P: libvisual-projectm: no-upstream-changelog
P: libprojectm-qt1: no-upstream-changelog
I: libprojectm-qt1: spelling-error-in-binary
./usr/lib/libprojectM-qt.so.1.10 overriden overridden
I: libprojectm-qt1: no-symbols-control-file usr/lib/libprojectM-qt.so.1.10
P: projectm-jack: no-upstream-changelog
W: projectm-jack: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/projectM-jack
I: projectm-jack: desktop-entry-contains-encoding-key
/usr/share/applications/projectM-jack.desktop:9 Encoding
P: projectm-pulseaudio: no-upstream-changelog
W: projectm-pulseaudio: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/projectM-pulseaudio
I: projectm-pulseaudio: desktop-entry-contains-encoding-key
/usr/share/applications/projectM-pulseaudio.desktop:2 Encoding
P: projectm-test: no-upstream-changelog
W: projectm-test: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/projectM-test
W: projectm-test: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/projectM-test-texture

More warnings:

dpkg-gencontrol: warning: Depends field of package libprojectm-qt-dev:
unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol dlsym used by
debian/libprojectm2/usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00 found in none of the
libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol dlclose used by
debian/libprojectm2/usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00 found in none of the
libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol dlopen used by
debian/libprojectm2/usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00 found in none of the
libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: symbol dlerror used by
debian/libprojectm2/usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00 found in none of the
libraries.
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libX11.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/libprojectm2/usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00" were not uselessly
linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libSM.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/libprojectm2/usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00" were not uselessly
linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libGLU.so.1 could be avoided if
"debian/libprojectm2/usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00" were not uselessly
linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libgomp.so.1 could be avoided
if "debian/libprojectm2/usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libfreetype.so.6 could be
avoided if "debian/libprojectm2/usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libICE.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/libprojectm2/usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00" were not uselessly
linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libXext.so.6 could be avoided
if "debian/libprojectm2/usr/lib/libprojectM.so.2.00" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libGLEW.so.1.5 could be avoided
if "debian/libvisual-projectm/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor/libprojectM_libvisual.so"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libX11.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/libvisual-projectm/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor/libprojectM_libvisual.so"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libGLU.so.1 could be avoided if
"debian/libvisual-projectm/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor/libprojectM_libvisual.so"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libXext.so.6 could be avoided
if "debian/libvisual-projectm/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor/libprojectM_libvisual.so"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libftgl.so.2 could be avoided
if "debian/libvisual-projectm/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor/libprojectM_libvisual.so"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libdl.so.2 could be avoided if
"debian/libvisual-projectm/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor/libprojectM_libvisual.so"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libSM.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/libvisual-projectm/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor/libprojectM_libvisual.so"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libSDL-1.2.so.0 could be
avoided if "debian/libvisual-projectm/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor/libprojectM_libvisual.so"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libfreetype.so.6 could be
avoided if "debian/libvisual-projectm/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor/libprojectM_libvisual.so"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libGL.so.1 could be avoided if
"debian/libvisual-projectm/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor/libprojectM_libvisual.so"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libICE.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/libvisual-projectm/usr/lib/libvisual-0.4/actor/libprojectM_libvisual.so"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libGLEW.so.1.5 could be avoided
if "debian/libprojectm-qt1/usr/lib/libprojectM-qt.so.1.10" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libX11.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/libprojectm-qt1/usr/lib/libprojectM-qt.so.1.10" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libGLU.so.1 could be avoided if
"debian/libprojectm-qt1/usr/lib/libprojectM-qt.so.1.10" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libXext.so.6 could be avoided
if "debian/libprojectm-qt1/usr/lib/libprojectM-qt.so.1.10" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libQtXml.so.4 could be avoided
if "debian/libprojectm-qt1/usr/lib/libprojectM-qt.so.1.10" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libftgl.so.2 could be avoided
if "debian/libprojectm-qt1/usr/lib/libprojectM-qt.so.1.10" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libSM.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/libprojectm-qt1/usr/lib/libprojectM-qt.so.1.10" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libfreetype.so.6 could be
avoided if "debian/libprojectm-qt1/usr/lib/libprojectM-qt.so.1.10"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libICE.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/libprojectm-qt1/usr/lib/libprojectM-qt.so.1.10" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libGLEW.so.1.5 could be avoided
if "debian/projectm-jack/usr/bin/projectM-jack" were not uselessly
linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libX11.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/projectm-jack/usr/bin/projectM-jack" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libGLU.so.1 could be avoided if
"debian/projectm-jack/usr/bin/projectM-jack" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libQtOpenGL.so.4 could be
avoided if "debian/projectm-jack/usr/bin/projectM-jack" were not
uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libQtXml.so.4 could be avoided
if "debian/projectm-jack/usr/bin/projectM-jack" were not uselessly
linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libXext.so.6 could be avoided
if "debian/projectm-jack/usr/bin/projectM-jack" were not uselessly
linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libftgl.so.2 could be avoided
if "debian/projectm-jack/usr/bin/projectM-jack" were not uselessly
linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libQtCore.so.4 could be avoided
[...]
if "debian/projectm-pulseaudio/usr/bin/projectM-pulseaudio" were not
[...]
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libprojectM.so.2 could be
avoided if "debian/projectm-pulseaudio/usr/bin/projectM-pulseaudio"
were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
pkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libGLEW.so.1.5 could be avoided
if "debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test-texture
debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libX11.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test-texture
debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libSM.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test-texture
debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libGLU.so.1 could be avoided if
"debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test-texture
debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libfreetype.so.6 could be
avoided if "debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test-texture
debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libICE.so.6 could be avoided if
"debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test-texture
debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libXext.so.6 could be avoided
if "debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test-texture
debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libftgl.so.2 could be avoided
if "debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test-texture
debian/projectm-test/usr/bin/projectM-test" were not uselessly linked
against it (they use none of its symbols).

There are also a bunch of GCC and cmake warnings that should be sent upstream.

Please ask upstream to support QuesoGLC in addition to FTGL for font
rendering. GLC allows font fallbacks so you can render a string that
has characters from several different fonts. pango might be another
alternative.

--
bye,
pabs