Update projectM packages

Hello!
I recently repackaged the projectM music visualization libraries. Debian
has version 1.2 at time, current upstream is 2.0.1.
Now I have the following problem: My source package "projectm" would
replace the "libprojectm" and the "libvisual-projectm" source packages. I
contacted the authors of both packages, but did not receive a reply for
months.
My projectm-package provides some additional modules which come with
projectM and are not in Debian yet. Accepting it would update all projectM
packages, so that applications like Amarok can depend on it. (the package
provides the Qt4 projectM bindings too)
But the existing source package would have to be replaced. What is the
correct way to switch to a new source package? Should I fill a RFS for the
pkg and have the current devs of the projectm-packages to agree to this
change?
Thanks for your reply and kind regards!
   Matthias Klumpp

The projectM source package builds these binary packages:
libprojectm-dev - Advanced Milkdrop-compatible music visualization library
- dev
libprojectm-qt-dev - projectM Qt4 (development files)
libprojectm-qt1 - projectM Qt4 bindings
libprojectm2 - Advanced Milkdrop-compatible music visualization library
libvisual-projectm - libvisual module for projectM
projectm-data - Advanced Milkdrop-compatible music visualization library -
data
projectm-jack - projectM JackAudio module
projectm-pulseaudio - projectM PulseAudio module
projectm-test - projectM Test modules

- Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
contrib non-free
- dget