Only in pbuilder: CMake can't find FLTK

I've been spending the last few days packaging up my pet project. I
finally submitted it to the mentors website last night, but I'm aware of
one problem building it, that I'm hoping someone knows how to solve. In
one sentence, like the subject says:

When building in pbuilder, CMake can't find FLTK.

It isn't a problem on any of the other systems I support; various ubuntu
flavors. Debian lenny, squeeze or sid, either on metal or in VMs.
Opensolaris. Arch Linux. OSX. MinGW/MSYS. I've run it on armv5, amd64,
x86, sparc, ppc [not that architecture usually has any bearing on build
systems, but still...] - somehow, it only occurs at the intersection of
pbuilder and sid.

I have a complete buildlog here:
http://icculus.org/~chunky/stuff/buildlog.txt

Note that cmake, libfltk1.1-dev, fluid, pkg-config are all pulled in.
But down in the cmake run, I see this line:
-- Could NOT find FLTK  (missing:  FLTK_INCLUDE_DIR)

I found someone online who has what sounds like a similar problem:
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/b85232f8026ed347/dea38cd2422a846f?lnk=raot&pli=1
I've used exactly that fix for past projects [setting FLTK_INCLUDE_DIR
manually-ish], but that doesn't seem to fix it for me; neither when I
put it in CMakeLists.txt [as they do], nor when I set it on the
command-line [using dh_autoconfigure override, pass
"-DFLTK_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/include" to cmake].

My project's svn is here [the debian packaging is in trunk]:
svn co svn://svn.icculus.org/obdgpslogger/trunk obdgpslogger-0.14

If anyone has any deep thoughts or otherwise general mentor-ish
pearls of wisdom, I'm very open to suggestion

Thank-you very much,
Gary (-;