Re: RFS: httpry

On 11 April 2010 16:08, Yann Lejeune <ylejeune@netyl.org> wrote:
>> I'm not sure that you need the entries in debian/dirs, which I
>> presume are created by the upstream Makefile. It's probably neater to
>
> In fact without the dirs file or a httpry.dirs, the package is not
> build (fakeroot complains that some directory doesn't exist).

Hmm, yes, the Makefile from upstream is unusual. Okay. Is upstream
active? You could suggest some improvements to the build system
(you've already switched it to using "install" in places) and send
your documentation patch at the same time.

I think you accidentally left an 'httpry.dirs' file in the top-level
directory this time?

>> Can you tell me what makes httpry better or different to using tcpdump
>> and wireshark?  As in, if it gets uploaded, is it going to have enough
>> users reporting bugs and so on?
>
> Well, httpry snoops only HTTP traffic and perform a first level of
<snip>

That sounds okay. It might be a good idea to add a short paragraph
with some of this information to the long description in
debian/control - see the bullet points at:
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-pkg-desc

Some of the Perl scripts require DBI, so you might want to add
"Recommends: libdbi-perl" or something.

> I uploaded a new version on mentors website with two other fixes based
> upon your other comment (and M. E. Anderssonon) regarding the debian
> version number (as you recommend I keep the -1), and thus fix the
> changelog.

This is good. You can also remove 'quilt' from Build-Depends, the
quilt lines from debian/rules, and the README.source file, as Mats
suggested.

I've reviewed the copyright a bit more - there are some licences in
tcp.h which should be quoted in full in debian/copyright. The actual
licence grant is in doc/README, which mentions "For modification and
redistribution information, see COPYING file", which I hope is enough
- that should probably go in debian/copyright as well, because it's
the only place where a licence is hinted at. There is one script where
the author mentions the code was originally from a perlmonks page, but
the copying is relatively small... I'm not particularly worried about
it.

Your changes are now GPL-2=, but it would be nice to make them the
same as httpry, i.e. "or any later version" - or just state "The
Debian packaging is licensed under the same terms as httpry itself".

--
Tim Retout <tim@retout.co.uk>