Re: flow of things rules/debhelper (still confused)

>> I am still confused about my initial question when which binary-*
>> target in debian/rules is called.
>
> Very simple: binary-arch to build all arch-dependent packages from that
> source and binary-indep to build all arch-independent packages. The
> binary target should then depend on binary-arch and binary-indep, so
> with 'binary' all packages are build.

Yeah but I was talking about a debian/rules like

binary-indep:
	cmd1
	cmd2

%:
	dh $@

Here, you can be sure that binary-indep is ignored. (In other words,
there will only be a call from the build tools to "debian/rules
binary" which will invoke "dh binary", which in turn will run "dh
binary-indep", ... but not "debian/rules binary-indep".

So one should mention somewhere that since the introduction of

%:
	dh $@

some targets in debian/rules have become obsolete, and what one could
do to achieve the old behavior with the new "syntax".

JM