Re: flow of things rules/debhelper (still confused)

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 04:19:33PM +0200, jmroth+deb@iip.lu wrote:
> Guys,
> I am still confused about my initial question when which binary-*
> target in debian/rules is called.

Very simple: binary-arch to build all arch-dependent packages from that
source and binary-indep to build all arch-independent packages. The
binary target should then depend on binary-arch and binary-indep, so
with 'binary' all packages are build.

> While reading the NMG I see
> "build: ... pre-build configuration"
> "binary: ... all that is necessary for the user to build the binary
> package(s) ..."
> When I translate this to the usual things to be done for getting a
> software installed, we have
> build   <-> ./configure
> binary  <-> make
> install <-> make install
> Why not give this as an example?

Because it's wrong? :)

build   -> ./configure && make
binary  -> all that needs to be done to put the (possibly compiled) code
           into a binary package, including make install
install -> doesn't really exist, at least it doesn't have to

> But back to topic: my main motivation here is to find out about the
> binary, binary-arch, binary-indep targets, when they are called, and
> where this is documented.

Debian Policy is the canonical place.

Hauke