Re: how to account for dependence on standard lib (-lm) ?

Hello,

IMO yes, you should explicitly link to libm. Not only that but you
should also contact upstream and report this as a bug.

Many libraries (and some applications, too) forget to explicitly link
to the mathematical library, the threads library, etc because they
come "for free" with GNU libc. But on other systems (Windows, BSD,
other Linux distributions with other compile/link flags, etc), the
software will fail to link.