Re: RFS: lal

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Michael Lustfield
<mtecknology@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "lal".

As promised on IRC, here is a review:

Please forward the Makefile patch upstream if you haven't yet done so.

In the upstream Makefile you should remove the / from ${DESTDIR}/${PREFIX}.

Standards-Version is out of date, please read upgrading-checklist.txt
in debian-policy and perform the required actions.

Vcs-* are for the Debian packaging, not the upstream code. You can
document the upstream repo using debian/upstream-metadata.yaml,
although that is not particularly standard:

http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata

debian/watch references debian/orig-tar.sh, which doesn't exist.

debian/copyright references the upstream git repo but the upstream
tarball has the same md5sum as the orig.tar.gz, I think the
debian/copyright file needs updating to point at the upstream tarball.

debian/copyright says GPLv2+ but the upstream source says GPLv3+.

debian/lal.manpages isn't needed since the upstream build system
installs the manual page.

debian/lal.install isn't needed since the upstream build system
installs the binary.

You might want to add a mkdir -p to the upstream install target so
that debian/dirs isn't needed.

The upstream README (and debian/docs) isn't needed since the manual
page and package description duplicate it.

Lintian complaints:

P: lal source: direct-changes-in-diff-but-no-patch-system Makefile
P: lal: no-upstream-changelog
P: lal: copyright-refers-to-symlink-license usr/share/common-licenses/GPL
I: lal: package-contains-empty-directory usr/sbin/
I: lal: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/lal.1.gz:70
I: lal: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/lal.1.gz:72
I: lal: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/lal.1.gz:74

You may want to adopt dpkg-source v3, DEP3 and DEP5:

http://wiki.debian.org/Projects/DebSrc3.0
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/

--