Re: Use of DM-Upload-Allowed field

Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 22:00, Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian@joonet.de> wrote:
> > So I am right to do in this way?
> >
> >  1. Set the DMUA first time inside the package (debian/control)
> >  2. upload to mentors.d.o
> >  3. ask for (last) sponsoring (RFS)

As I'm sure is also true of many others, I initially set the DMUA field
myself on my first package, and was told not to do that by the sponsor
(along with other changes suggested in the mentoring process).

It's an attractive nuisance, IMO, because the first-time packager is
trying to make the package as complete and helpful to the sponsor as can
be, and setting all the fields seems to the new maintainer like one way
of making the package closer to being complete.

> No, the correct process would be:
>
> 1. prepare a package
> 2. upload it to mentors.d.n
> 3. find a sponsor
> 4. reiterate 1-3 for "some times" then ask the sponsor to add the DM
> flag. This should be done by the sponsor since he trusts you can
> manage that package correctly without supervision.

Yes, the procedure Sandro describes is my experience with several
packages through various sponsors, and is IMO the right way to do it
currently.

There has been talk in the past of having the field taken out of package
data altogether and flagged in some other way to make it more obvious
that it's not for the package maintainer to set. I don't recall the
details though; anyone?

--
 \              “In the long run, the utility of all non-Free software |
  `\      approaches zero. All non-Free software is a dead end.” —Mark |