Re: RFS: totem-plugin-arte

Hi,

Nicolas Delvaux Nicolas Delvaux <nicolas.delvaux@gmx.com>:
> Le mardi 09 mars 2010 à 19:12 +0100, Erik Schanze a écrit :
> > Nicolas Delvaux Nicolas Delvaux <nicolas.delvaux@gmx.com>:
> > > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "totem-plugin-arte".
> > >
> > > * Package name    : totem-plugin-arte
> > >   Version         : 0.8.1-1
> > >   Upstream Author : Simon Wenner <simon@wenner.ch>
> > > * URL             : http://gitorious.org/totem-plugin-arte
> > > * License         : GPL v2+
> > >   Section         : gnome
> > >
> > > It builds this binary package:
> > > totem-plugin-arte - This plugin allows you to watch streams from arte.tv on totem
> > >
> > > The package appears to be lintian clean.
> > >
> > > The upload would fix this bug: 572919
> > >
> > > My motivation for maintaining this package is to provide users with a simple, usefull and just great plugin.
> > >
> > > The package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
> > > - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> > > - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/t/totem-plugin-arte/totem-plugin-arte_0.8.1-1.dsc
> > >

> > AFAIK they use very strict Geo-Localisation to block users from outside
> > of some selected European Countries.
> >
> > Is this siutable for main then? Isn't it a usage restriction which
> > make it better fitting into contrib, is it?
>
> I see your point.
>
> But as far as I know main require only free *software* and so free
> licences whereas contrib packages depend on other *software* that is not
> free.
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages.html

We had the same discussion on programs which were only be useful with
non-free data (Sorry, I don't remember the name) and the conclusion was
that the maintainer should aquire some free data so the package could be
used freely from anyone to place it into main.

> I mean that there is no restriction to use this plugin from anywhere. It
> will work, but the arte.tv feed may be unavailable.

For what is the plugin useful, if it can not get its data? Is there any
free usecase, from anywhere?
If no, main should not be the right place.

> Arte policy is not
> written in stone, and we can hope that they will extend availability if
> there is enough demand.

So it could be moved from contrib to main then.

> For the time being, it's also possible to use a
> proxy or a vpn (well, "auto-proxy if needed" may be a good TODO, I will
> propose it upstream).

Is this legal?

> I'm not aware of a past similar case so it's interesting ;)

There were some, but I didn't find it quickly.
Perhaps any of the other readers will remember?

Kind regards,

Erik

--
 Bitte keine HTML-E-Mails! No HTML mails, please! Limit: 100 kB *