Custom packages derived from Debian Source Packages

Hi mentors,

I have a question regarding repacking and hope you could give me some
suggestions.

I'd like to run a special x86 based device with Debian.
I could use most of the common Debian packages, but I have to repack some of them
for the use on this device. The packages will be provided and maintained
for the devices on a special repository server.

First I have to repack Linux kernel package to apply a custom configuration
and additional patches.
I see 2 possibilities.
1. Change the config and add patches in Linux source package, bump the
   Version with an epoch and build the binary package for my platform.
   Upgrades with Debian kernel packages should be prevented by the epoch.
   But the custom source and binary package has the same file name as the
   Debian ones, so you could not see that it is different easily.

2. Extent the Linux source package with a new binary target for my platform
   e. g.  linux-image-2.6.26-2-686-myDevice,
   but then I have to deal with Linux meta packages also
   (like linux-image-2.6-686 and linux-image-686).

Second I have to repack some packages to remove some files from the package,
because 3rd party software provides these files also and I have to prevent
a clash. I have to repack these packages without these files, depending on
a package with the 3rd party software which has the (adapted) files.
I see the 2 possibilities above also.
Or is there any other (better) way?

I'm a bit lost to find a way which is compatible to Debian archive and
packages that are easy to maintain and to follow Debian versions
(mostly security fixes).

Hope anyone could help.

Kind regards,

Erik