Re: Reforming 'orig.tar.gz' with included tar-ball.

Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian@joonet.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Mats Erik Andersson <mats.andersson@gisladisker.se> wrote:
>> To my dismay the previous maintainer chose to let the 'orig.tar.gz'-file
>> contain the packaged and compressed upstream tar archive. My personal
>> taste is to abondon this practice, if for no other reason to simplify
>> the rules-file.
> I know one reason: inside the upstream package are binary files, which
> must be created new while packaging ("build") and then the original
> binary files of upstream get lost ... This seems to be independent of
> the package format.
>
> For me the solution would be: creating a reduced orig.tar.gz file
> without those binaries. Would be this the right way?
>
> Fondest regards,
>  Joachim Wiedorn

Then you delete them in clean and ignore the dpkg-source output about
"ignoring deletion of stupid/binary".

Unless the binaries are not illegal to distribute in main or overly big
they are no reason why the upstream.tar must be repacked.

MfG
        Goswin