Re: Time of a package to be processed by FTP-masters

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo
<manuel.montezelo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I won't poke them to review my package, as if it was the most important
> thing in the universe, before anything else.  I just wanted to ask about its
> status and possible review because my package is already towards the front
> of the queue since a few weeks ago, and new packages behind mine are being
> approved constantly, and mine isn't.

Just so you know, NEW is not processed in strictly FIFO order.

> Why is this important?  In this lapse of time of 2 months, my package (1.7.1
> version) was already obsoleted (by 1.7.2, with a lot of bug fixes).  So I
> was wondering if it's worth to invest time in creating a package for 1.7.2,
> or if the effort might be futile because the package won't be reviewed and
> approved under any circumstance until freeze is over.  By that time 1.7.3
> might be out, and my effort wasted again, so I would choose not to create
> the 1.7.2 package at this moment.

There is no reason not to have the latest and greatest version in NEW,
the ftpmasters will only review the latest version available in NEW.

> I think that these are pretty reasonable things that a contributor can ask,
> to decide what to do with his free time, but maybe I am wrong.  In any case,
> having unresolved doubts about this, the voluntary effort that I could put
> forward in the next few weeks will be spent elsewhere, where the effort will
> hopefully be more appreciated and won't be wasted for sure.

The ftpmasters not reviewing your package does not mean that your work
is not appreciated and is a waste of time, on the contrary! Please try
to think a bit more positively :)

--
bye,
pabs