Re: RFS: free42

(no need to CC me, I am subscribed to the mailing-list)

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 04:04:09PM -0500, Jean Schurger wrote:
> Yes, i don't know what to do with that. I should not use the
> 'unodcumented' because i've understood that it is/will be deprecated.
>
> And i have no "manual" for that on the software sources.
> Is there a template of manual that i can use ?

You can for example learn from an existing manpage (they are text
source files). There are plenty of them in /usr/share/man :-)

You can also use a "compiler" that will produce a manpage from a
(simpler) description. I've used pandoc (packaged in Debian) which
does the job.

Once it's done you should send the manpages to upstream, too.

> >   - dpkg-shlibdeps seems to complain about useless dependencies on
> >
> >       libfontconfig.so.1
> >       libatk-1.0.so.0
> >       librt.so.1
> >       libgio-2.0.so.0
> >       libcairo.so.2
> >       libpango-1.0.so.0
> >       libgmodule-2.0.so.0
> >       libgthread-2.0.so.0
> >       libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
> >       libfreetype.so.6
> >       libpangoft2-1.0.so.0
> >
> >     Those come from your Makefile which calls "pkg-config --libs
> >     gtk+-2.0". I am not sure about the best solution for this one.
> >     It's only a warning, though.
> >

> Yes, i was knowing that too, the Makefile is part of the sources,
> should i patch it to prevent thoses links ? Free42 is linked
> "indirectly" to those libraries as they are gtk+ dependencies, and
> free42 use gtk+.

If there's actually a way to build in a cleaner way (and remove
explicit dependencies), you should patch the upstream sources. As
you're using the new "3.0 (quilt)" format, it means recording a patch
and putting it in debian/patches. You can do that by hand (tedious),
or directly with quilt. If you are using a "higher level" system
(git-buildpackage, …), there should be a direct way to do that, too.
Upstream will probably be happy to merge this patch in their next
version, too (once again, assuming that it's not a false warning).

--
Etienne Millon