Re: ITS: webfs (updated package)

* Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>, 2010-12-03, 13:43:
I'm looking at it now... Just one question, is there a reason why you use "rm $TEMPCONFFILE 2>/dev/null || true" instead of "rm -f $TEMPCONFFILE"?

It's not wrong, but longer ;)

No really valid reason at all, only that the policy mandates maintainer
scripts to append the "or-true construct" to capture exceptional states.

Yes, as many other programs don't allow you to catch things properly.

As said:  Using "||true" is not false, it's just uncommon ;)

I'd argue that the "|| true" variant is wrong.

"rm -f $something" ignores only non-existent files.
"rm $something 2>/dev/null || true" swallows all kind of possible errors. This is almost never what you want.

--
Jakub Wilk